Fleas are tiny blood-sucking insects that cause a lot of trouble to pets. They are wound in any animals endowed with wool. These animals include rabbits. Therefore, in order to avoid the appearance of blood-sucking insects, preventive measures must be observed.
Blood-sucking insects are ubiquitous. At the moment, scientists have been able to establish more than 2100 different subspecies of fleas. Two such subtypes have long been known. According to accurate data, insects appeared several million years ago. But the natural life cycle of these insects is small – no more than 90-100 days. The life span is affected by the environment. Under adverse conditions, blood-sucking insects can hibernate. In this state, fleas do without food for several weeks. But after this condition, insects enhance the process of blood consumption. Fleas are very unpretentious in food. Therefore, such insects are dangerous to humans. Flea bites are very painful. After them, allergic reactions may appear.
The appearance of blood-sucking insects in a rabbit should alert the owner himself. Fleas can cause dangerous diseases in pet owners. To completely remove parasites, you will have to give a lot of time and effort.
Nature has been able to convert fleas into dangerous bloodsucking insects. It is easy and quick to get blood from a victim with tiny insects, which allows the special constitution structure:
- The constitution is narrowed, squeezed on the sides. The whole body is covered with small bristles. Thanks to them, insects are kept in the coat of wool.
- Fleas can also be kept in the hairline with ridges. The crests are located on the head and chest.
- The abdomen of fleas has the function of hypertrophic proliferation. Up to 10 ml of blood can be placed there.
- The oral apparatus of this tiny insect can be attributed to the piercing-sucking subtype.
- Thanks to evolution, the insects lost their mandibles – jaws designed for biting. Instead, a proboscis formed. With the help of a new organ, blood that is sucked from the skin is extracted much faster and easier.
- Over time, fleas atrophied wings. Later they completely disappeared as unnecessary. Instead, powerful forelimbs were developed. Thanks to strong paws, fleas can jump to a height of 1 m.
- In insects, 2 and 3 pairs of limbs are often found. They are used for repulsion in height.
- Blood-sucking insects are endowed with an abdominal sensillium. Thanks to him, insects feel even slight fluctuations in air. Using this method, they accurately determine the approximation of an individual.
- Insects do not create special nests for future offspring. A pregnant female simply lays fertilized eggs. Further development of future babies takes place independently.
What types of fleas infect rabbits
Individuals may be affected two subtypes of fleas:
- I subtype lives in the hairline of rabbits and cats;
- Subtype II lives in the hairline of rabbits alone.
The natural life cycle of blood-sucking insects is 90-100 days. Females are able to lay up to 50 eggs per day. Fertilized eggs can fall on carpets, furniture, tools, and parquet. Because of this, the eggs come into contact with the paws or hair of the animal. Thus they infect it. Small fleas hatch from the eggs in the animal’s hairline. therefore it is generally accepted that 90% of all insects are found in the hair in the form of pupae, small larvae and fertilized eggs. Breeding this type of insect is very difficult. Fleas themselves are just the tip of the iceberg.
The presence of insects
If an individual has had fleas at least once, the owners know very well what these insects look like. If fleas move along the hairline of the eared cat, it behaves too intensely. The animal can begin to bite itself, squeal. You can check your pet for the presence of blood-sucking parasites both in the veterinary clinic and at home. To do this, it is necessary to iron the hairline against its growth. Fleas can be either black or dark brown. With the naked eye, they can best be seen on the spine and withers of the animal. Insects look like tiny dots.
Flea excrement can be seen in the animal’s cage. If there are black or dark brown particles on the floor of the dwelling, then this fact indicates the presence of fleas on the hairline of the rabbit.
Pet owners should pay particular attention to:
- Fertilized eggs, larvae and pupae, which are clearly visible in the scalp with the naked eye.
- The presence of miniature red dots. Such sites are susceptible to attacks by bloodsucking insects. This fact indicates the presence of fleas.
- The presence of dark grains is the excrement of insects. They can be located both in the hairline and at the bottom of the cell. The grains also remain on the upholstered furniture or carpet paths on which the rabbit just lay.
Most often, blood-sucking insects infect rabbits in the spine and withers. Continuous itching, which remains after bites, does not allow animals to live in peace. Rabbits start to get very nervous and behave too actively. Animals constantly scratch places of bites. Pet owners should not allow these combing. There are several reasons for this:
- Combing bites can lead to the most damage to affected areas of the skin. This may cause the appearance of ulcers and pus. It is worth noting that such bites heal for a very long time.
- Combing can cause secondary infection. This happens due to the ingestion of pathogens. This type of bite is much more difficult to treat.
- The presence of flea bites in a decorative rabbit instantly depreciates any breed. Often these animals are not bought. Therefore, the owners urgently need to remove parasites, as well as timely treatment.
Fleas in rabbits are carriers of various diseases. For individuals, the most dangerous diseases are:
In addition, rabbits can swallow helminths. The eggs of such worms can remain viable in the stomachs of fleas. Insect larvae feed on helminths. And fleas swallowed when cleaning the hair in most cases are infectious. Such fleas can cause damage to the body by worms. Therefore, the attack of blood-sucking parasites can lead to the death of an animal population.
Running allergic reactions from flea bites cause exhaustion.
How to get rid
To date, a considerable number of flea preparations have been developed for popular pets. For rabbits, such preparations are much less. Therefore, to eliminate insects, special flea remedies for kittens will be required, as well as shampoos against parasites. It is important to note that you must carefully read the instructions before use. If the norms are not observed, any remedy can cause poisoning of the body.
- First of all, it is necessary to determine what specifically caused the animal to continuously scratch. For this, it is necessary to examine the hairline on the spine and withers. The detection of redness of the skin and black particles indicates the presence of flea bites and their excrement. Even in the absence of the insects themselves, it is urgent to start treatment.
- It is necessary to bathe the animal with shampoo. Such a tool should have an insecticidal effect. For the procedure, the preparations "Neguvon" (400-450 rubles), "Bolfo" (300-350 rubles) are suitable. The dosage should be carefully studied. Before the procedure, wear rubber gloves. Shampoo is distributed throughout the hairline. Rub the product into the skin gently and gently. After 10-15 minutes, the shampoo is washed off with a stream of warm water. Such drugs are very toxic. Therefore, they must be washed off thoroughly. After washing, the hair of the animal is combed with a comb.
- After the first wash, larvae and flea eggs may remain. Therefore, this procedure must be repeated after 7-10 days. It is also necessary to carry out a general cleaning in the apartment. Clean carpet paths, disinfect bedding and cage. Rugs located on the floor of the cage are treated with an anti-flea spray. After that, the equipment is thoroughly vacuumed
- You can also use drops against fleas. For this, Advantage (180-200 rubles) and Front Line are suitable (380-430 rubles). These drugs must be dripped at the withers of the animal. The correct dosage must be found in the instructions. After applying the product, it is necessary to ensure that the rabbit does not reach the tongue to the disinfected area of the skin. Otherwise, it will cause severe intoxication of the body. After applying the drug for two days, bathing rabbits is strictly prohibited. Otherwise, drops will not affect the extinction of insects. For one day, you must refrain from walking in the fresh air. Re-treatment should be carried out after 30-60 days.
- It is allowed to use an insecticidal agent – a 0.5% solution of Brommocyclen. Before the procedure, wear rubber gloves. The drug is distributed throughout the hairline. The product is kept on the skin for 10-15 minutes. After that, the drug is washed off with a stream of warm water. Next, the hair is thoroughly combed and wiped with a towel. Repeat the procedure after 7-10 days.
Prevention against bloodsucking insects
Blood-sucking insects can appear in the hairline for various reasons. The main ones are walks in the fresh air. After walking, individuals begin to itch strongly, they have redness. But before you get a collar, you need to make sure that the animal really suffers from parasites.
Is it necessary to purchase a collar
A collar is not considered the best way to get rid of fleas. Such a tool contains poisons that negatively affect the body. They cause intoxication. Therefore, experienced veterinarians are advised to choose other drugs. But there is an option when the presence of a collar is required. This item must be purchased for walks in the fresh air. In this case, such a tool is very effective. The collar will be able to eliminate fleas already existing in the hairline, as well as scare new insects. Collars are used as a preventive measure. They are dressed before a walk and immediately after it they take it off. Keeping an animal in a collar at home is not recommended. Rabbits love to chew on everything. In the presence of a collar, the animal can be poisoned by harmful substances deposited on the collar.
Before using the collar, the age of the animal must be considered. It must not be worn by individuals under 4 months of age.
Where to get a collar
It is necessary to purchase a collar at a veterinary pharmacy or clinic. But collars, drops and other preparations are not intended for rabbits. In this case, you need to buy collars for kittens. Before buying, you must pay attention to the weight of the animal. Preparations for cats and dogs will not work. Such animals have the largest dimensions. Means for them contain the greatest amount of poison. Rabbits are much weaker than dogs. Therefore, more poisons will lead to severe intoxication.
Other preventive measures
- Timely examination of the hairline;
- Shampooing against fleas;
- General cleaning of the house;
- Injections against fleas;
- Limit contact with other animals.
The threat of fleas for people
The human body is able to not respond to insect bites. Most often, the actions of parasites affect children and older people. Toddlers are most sensitive to bites. They have allergy-sensitive faces. Pets do not always show the presence of blood-sucking insects with their behavior. Therefore, their appearance on the human body indicates paying attention to the health of the animal. For humans, these insects are very dangerous. They can be carriers of viruses and pathogens of the following diseases:
- Hepatitis C and B;
- E. coli;
- Plague sticks.