Features of the Hay Feeder
Is this sennik really needed? Why can’t you just put hay in an ordinary feeding trough?
- First, rabbits often scatter hay throughout the cage, mixing it with sawdust. Using a sennik will ensure cleanliness in the cage.
- Secondly, the rabbit will not be able to sort out food and eat only tidbits. When you have to get the blade of grass one at a time, willy-nilly you have to try all kinds of useful grass.
- For a cell in which several rabbits live, a sennik is generally irreplaceable. After all, it often happens that the strongest rabbit sits on a hill with hay and drives away the rest. And so all the pets feed on equal terms, sitting side by side near the feeder.
- Using this device is easier to train the animal to the toilet. After all, the eared have a specific digestive system. As soon as they begin to chew, their intestines immediately begin to work. Hang a manger for hay above the tray and you are guaranteed cleanliness. In the photo – rabbits that successfully combine a meal and a visit to the tray.
For agriculture, the sennik is also convenient because it can put a supply of hay for several days. So, for example, if the owner needs to leave for a while, or in the winter, you will save yourself from having to lay food every day.
Types of Senniki
According to the location in the cell, the senniki are divided into external and internal. External day nurseries are attached to the free mesh side of the cage, as in the photo below. If the size of the cage allows, you can place a feeder with hay inside. But then you need to take care that it is convenient for you to fill the nursery with fresh grass. You can make a hole in the wall or build a hanging feeder from the grid.
Bilateral V-shaped sennics are very convenient, especially for dual cells. As for the sizes, then everything is individual. Small pet feeders are convenient for pets, and for the industrial cultivation of rabbits, you can make a nursery for the entire width of the cage. If you decide to build a feeder with your own hands, think about the Sennik to be convenient to maintain, and choose the option that suits you.
Do it yourself
Independent manufacture of a feeding trough is a very simple matter. In addition, it will be less expensive than buying a finished device. If you know how to hold a hammer in your hands, the matter is small: stock up on materials and get to work.
What do you need?
Rabbit breeders most often use the most common materials that are easy to find. Each decent owner in stock has sheets of plywood and wooden boards. They will serve as the basis for the future sennik. In addition, additional materials and tools will be needed:
- metal mesh with small cells;
- pieces of wire;
- nails, screws;
- nippers or scissors for cutting metal.
Owners of dwarf rabbits can also make a feeder with their own hands, choosing the right size. Especially inventive they make a manger out of improvised materials, for example, a plastic jar.
Getting to work
Let’s take a closer look at how to make a nursery with your own hands. To begin, take measurements of the cell and draw a diagram of the future sennik. We will show how to make an external and V-shaped feeder. Other options can be found in the photo gallery. So, we will first analyze the step-by-step instructions for manufacturing an outdoor structure.
- Make the sides not rectangular, but with a small extension up or in the shape of a triangle. So it will be more convenient for animals to get hay.
- Draw the outline of the drawing onto a plywood sheet.
- With a hacksaw or saw, cut two identical parts for the sidewalls and one – the central one.
- Connect the parts together using self-tapping screws.
- Fasten the structure to the mesh sidewall of the cage.
If you decide to make a V-shaped feeder, then the course of your work will be as follows.
- For a bilateral inner sennik (indicated by the letter B in the drawing), take a wooden board or timber 10-15 cm wide, cut out the details of the future feeding trough. We will need 4 parts for the side walls 40 cm long and 3 parts for the top and base of 50 cm each.
- Cut two rectangles 30×40 cm from the metal mesh. These will be the walls through which the rabbits will eat hay.
- Now you need to connect 2 short beams and 1 long in the form of the letter P.
- Make 2 such parts and connect them to the base at an angle of 45 degrees. You should get a design in the form of the Latin letter V, as in the photo.
- It remains to attach the nets to the sides of the sennik and place it in the rabbit’s dwelling.
As you can see, self-made manger for hay will take a little time. And as a result, you will see how convenient it has become to feed the animals and maintain cleanliness in their summers.