Keeping rabbits at home is a great activity for farmers or ordinary pensioners who spend all their time around the farm. Unfortunately, not many of them realize that for full growth and development, eared animals need to provide not only high-quality food and water, but also various kinds of bioadditives. A certain part of useful substances can be provided by a balanced bio-feed, but the owner of the livestock should think for everything else.
In addition to the old and proven vitamins, you can find a large number of new products on sale at veterinary pharmacies that are common to all people, but in practice have been used very rarely. One of these is lactic acid for rabbits.
Composition and properties
According to visual characteristics, lactic acid may have a yellowish tint, sour smell and a syrupy consistency. All this is achieved thanks to lactic acid and its anhydrites in the composition.
The drug is released in a glass or plastic bottle with different capacities. In veterinary pharmacies, you can purchase containers with a volume of 100-1000 milliliters. If we take into account the fact that lactic acid is widely used in the food industry, volumes can be found on sale much more.
Farmers using lactic acid for rabbits often dilute it with water, but glycerol, ether or alcohol can be used for this purpose (for external use). Given the method of application, the substance has various properties.
For internal use (oral), the drug has:
- Antiseptic and anti-fermentative properties, pronounced bacteriostatic and bactericidal effect. Preventing the reproduction of pathogenic microflora, reduces the degree of intoxication of the body with their waste products. Helps relax the digestive sphincter.
- It irritates the gastrointestinal mucosa, accelerates metabolic processes.
In addition to internal use, veterinarians practice externally the use of lactic acid. In rabbit farming it is actively used for the following purposes:
- Disinfection of wounds and skin.
- Cauterization of wounds and any mechanical damage.
Indications for use
In veterinary practice, including in rabbit breeding, lactic acid is prescribed in the following cases:
- The condition of acute expansion of the stomach.
Outwardly, the drug is indicated in the presence of neoplasms of various etiologies:
- Fungal and inflammatory processes on the skin.
Many farmers use lactic acid to disinfect their inventory, feeders, drinkers, and rabbit houses.
Instructions for use
Given the selected method of application, lactic acid must be further diluted. There are no special instructions in the instructions that apply only to rabbits. The method of application and dose in rabbit breeding are selected taking into account the experience of numerous rabbit breeders and veterinarians.
- As a solution for disinfection, the product is diluted to a concentration of 10-30%. Lactic acid treatment should be carried out at least 1 time per year. The premises of the rabbit house are processed 10 days before the expected date of the rounding of the females, and about a week before the young are deposited.
- To soften keratinized growths, you need to prepare a 10% acid solution. To treat wounds, you need to dilute the solution with a 10-40% concentration.
- To increase the shelf life and assimilation of feed, lactic acid is used in an amount of 0.5 milliliter per 1 kilogram of its mass.
- For the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, rabbits can be given lactic acid starting from the 6th week of life. Doctors advise diluting the product with water to a concentration of 2. The dosage for one rabbit should be between 4-7.5 milliliters. By increasing the concentration to 3%, a slightly smaller amount of solution is soldered to the rabbits – approximately 3-5 milliliters. With acute manifestations of pathologies, you can use 4 milliliters of a 5% solution. The duration of treatment is not more than 5 days.
- If there is a suspicion of bloating, infection or other pathology of the LCD, lactic acid is diluted and given for prevention. The solution is prepared with the calculation of 2 tablespoons of the product in an ordinary bucket of drinking water. The duration of treatment is up to 4 days.
Contraindications and side effects
It is advisable to use lactic acid for the treatment of rabbits on the basis of the advice of a veterinarian in the prescribed amounts of doses. With independent use at home, it is recommended to follow the instructions for use. In any case, the product belongs to the group of slightly toxic substances, therefore it is not dangerous. There is evidence of an excess of the recommended concentration of 8 times, and the level of toxicity for the animal was not critical.
Compared with many drugs, the use of which has long been practiced in the field of veterinary medicine, there is no quarantine period in the treatment of lactic acid, which consists in the limited use of rabbit meat as food. Such rabbits can be safely slaughtered without the risk of losing quality, rabbit meat.
The use is contraindicated only in the case of wet ulcers and acute renal failure.
If you do not break the tightness of the bottle with lactic acid, it can be stored for up to 10 years. The optimum temperature for storage should be within 3045 degrees. Even with a low degree of toxicity, the drug must be kept away from children and animals.
The opinions of people who used lactic acid are divided. There is an opinion that in rabbit breeding this remedy is absolutely ineffective. The main thing is to choose the right diet and comply with all sanitary standards for keeping animals. But in veterinary pharmacies it takes not the last place:
- Review 1: after separation of the rabbits and the female, I often face the problem of a swollen abdomen. If you let it go by chance, some babies die. Recently I started using lactic acid for prophylaxis, and in a couple of days the young growth completely weaned from mother’s milk. I select the dose based on the concentration of the solution. In our pharmacies, the product is sold without a leaflet, but the pharmacist advised to dilute 2% concentration with water.
- Review 2: As a prevention of bloating, a better remedy than lactic acid can not be found. Be sure to give my livestock a 1-2% solution, otherwise follow all instructions. I periodically process cells from a nebulizer, since the solution helps to destroy many pathogenic microbes.
- Review 3: a few years ago I decided to start breeding rabbits, and unfortunately the first experience was extremely unsuccessful – all the livestock fell after being transferred to a new feed. Over the years, I learned and acquired a special first-aid kit in the refrigerator, and lactic acid in it is an irreplaceable thing. Bowel problems go away instantly, and cell treatment protects against any disease. If there is any doubt about the quality of the feed, then lactic acid is also useful here.
Taking any medications in veterinary medicine should be discussed with an experienced specialist, because only a professional can determine if the medicine is suitable. While self-medicating, you can make many mistakes that will deprive the owner of the entire population of rabbits.