Types of toys than can be dangerous, which are better to choose
Toys for rabbits can be homemade and purchased, and the term “toy for a rabbit” often hides what a person does not even perceive as a toy. For example, a system of minks and tunnels.
Having arranged such a developed hole for the rabbit, you can safely leave the animal alone. He will not be bored.
Material for making toys is actually limited, although at first glance this is not so. Toys are made from:
- a tree;
- plant fiber;
- gland. Not. The latter type of material is not a typo. Some rabbits love ringing toys and can be offered a metal bell.
Comparison of materials, possible types of toys, safety for the rabbit:
Tip # 1. For security reasons, a bell ribbon is best made from natural materials: sedge stems, sunken stalks of old nettles, cattail leaves.
Types of toys adapted from cats specifically for rabbits
Many toys for rabbits were “inherited” from cats, because cats also like tunnels, boxes, and something to roll on the floor. The only correction: cats do not eat toys. Therefore, for cats, toys are made from inedible materials, and in the manufacture of toys for rabbits, the need of animals to bite objects is taken into account. Read also the article: → “Features of caring for decorative rabbits, recommendations for feeding, keeping”.
Toys are divided into:
- those that can be nibbled;
- those who roll on the floor and throw;
- developing intelligence.
Almost perfect toy for a rabbit, which will take him for a long time, at the same time providing the right type of food (a little bit, but constantly).
Types of toys that can be used as toys:
Free DIY Toys
What can be done from free household waste:
Schemes of some rabbit toys in pictures
Stages of manufacturing hanging rolls with hay from tubes of toilet paper.
- They pierce a hole in the tube wall with a pencil;
- Ropes are threaded through the hole and secured with a knot so that the tube can be suspended;
- Stuff the tube with hay;
- Repeat operations 1 to 3 the desired number of times;
- They tie all the tubes into one bunch and hang them in a place convenient for the rabbit.
A roll with granules hidden inside will interest the rabbit for a long time, until he guesses to crack the cardboard.
To make such a roll, you need five tubes of toilet paper. Scheme:
- Crumple, as in the photo one tube and put it in the base;
- Repeat the procedure two more times so that the main tube is full of folded cardboard;
- Insert granules into the folds of cardboard;
- Give to the rabbit.
A ball made with a toilet paper tube is a good substitute for a purchased grass ball.
Making such a ball is not a complicated procedure, but it requires a certain thoroughness and painstaking:
- Tubes are cut into rings;
- Take a handful of hay and roll it into a ball as far as possible;
- A cardboard ring from a tube is put on a hay ball;
- Procedure number 3 is repeated until a ball of cardboard rings with hay inside is obtained.
In the manufacture of the fourth option, a circuit is not needed. Making such a toy is the easiest. It is enough to pierce the tube with chopsticks through.
The plus of the toy is that the edible sticks stuck in the tube will not be pumped under the wall where the rabbit will lose interest in them.
Subscribe to a group in the FB and keep up to date with the latest news on gardening!
Rabbit training and how to implement it
The main disadvantage of all toys is that the rabbit has fun on its own, and the owners want the animal to be oriented towards them. In this case, you will have to make an effort and entertain the rabbit yourself. Training classes kill two birds with one stone: a rabbit is busy with work and he has no time to play pranks; the rabbit gets used to being guided by requirements of the person. Read also the article: → "Recommendations for the selection and purchase of rabbits: what to look for."
Do not force the animal to perform tricks. Only an interested animal with pleasure does what the owner requires of it. Just like a cat, a rabbit can refuse to perform a trick at any time. For successful training, notice the rabbit’s preferences and use them in tricks. In rabbit training, the method of positive and negative reinforcements is used. This does not mean punishment, but it is easier to explain with examples.
Training the team "circles". We catch the moment when the rabbit turns around itself or provokes it to turn with the help of a piece, repeating the "circles". As the rabbit turns, they give him a piece. Gradually increase the requirements for clarity and number of turns, giving a piece not for any action, but for a better one. There is a factor of positive reinforcement.
"Punishment" for aggression. The rabbit aggressively demands its bite. Instead of a piece, the animal receives complete disregard for its person from the owner. The owner completely stops the activity with the rabbit and leaves about his business. As a result, the rabbit gets bored and not received a treat. This is a negative reinforcement of unwanted behavior. Yes, the phrase “negative reinforcement of unwanted behavior” sounds unusual, but such an action is not a punishment as such.
Mistakes when choosing a soft toy, a place for walking and training a rabbit
- Giving a rabbit a soft toy, toys made of polyethylene rubber or other materials that he can eat. The meaning of rabbit games boils down to "why bite it." This is the unconditioned reflex of rabbits, due to the constant growth of teeth. The material of the toy, clogging the intestines, causes the death of the animal, since rabbits usually do not have surgery.
- Unprotected electrical wires in the room where the rabbit walks. Well, it’s twigs! They are so nice to nibble. If you have not removed the wires from the range of the rabbit, do not be surprised when the animal dies from an electric shock. If the wires cannot be removed, protect them using special hard covers or a corrugated pipe.
- Trying to force the rabbit to execute commands while dragging. It is impossible to force some teams to execute even a human-oriented dog. The rabbit in this respect is similar to a cat or a dolphin. Strength during training is absolutely contraindicated. Seize the moment and encourage the desired behavior, tease with a treat, but get the rabbit to execute the commands voluntarily.
Questions that arise when dealing with decorative rabbits
Question number 1. How to play with rabbits in the pit?
They are hardly interested in artificial games. In the pits of rabbits are bred for industrial use and there are several dozen heads. Any social being is much more interesting with his own kind than with man. The rabbit draws attention to the person when he lives alone and is bored. In this case, the rabbit becomes tame, likes to be near the owner and play with him. Once the second animal appears, the owner becomes a food dispenser. And even in a big company a hand rabbit runs wild. So in the pit rabbits will find something to do without human help.
Question number 2. I tried to play with my domestic rabbit, but he did not react to me, and indeed barely moved. How to play it?
With the help of a veterinarian. A healthy animal of any kind is playful even in old age. Now, if the beast is in pain, then he tries to move as little as possible. Your rabbit may have had problems with the intestines or it may have jerked badly and damaged something. Perhaps he has some kind of infectious disease. The passivity of the animal is the first sign of emerging problems. See also the article: → “Description of the disease symptoms in rabbits, especially their treatment”.
Question number 3. I have an aggressive rabbit, how to play with him?
Aggression in a rabbit is manifested for various reasons:
- increased sexuality. Castration helps;
- fright. The rabbit is afraid and attacks proactively. Do not grab him by force, give him time to get comfortable and look around;
- territory protection. Rabbits are territorial and when trying to pull them out of the shelter they can defend themselves. Do not pull the animal out by force, let the rabbit go out of his own free will;
- attempt to push your opinion. This behavior is nipped. If the rabbit bites because it does not suit him that you distract him from chewing the wires, you will have to conduct an "educational conversation." No need to beat. Press the rabbit’s head to the floor and hold it in this position for some time, demonstrating who is the master in your hole and dissatisfaction with the behavior of the animal;
- hyperactivity. It is sometimes found among castrated rabbits, as well as among rabbits who had negative experience in communicating with people. In this case, only protective clothing.
First of all, focus on the consequences of eating parts of this toy. For a rabbit, you need to choose toys made from natural materials without the use of chemicals. A lacquered tree is not suitable for a rabbit. Choose plastic or rubber toys so that the rabbit cannot bite a piece from them. If in doubt about the safety of the toy, take another.
Question number 5. How to play with rabbits in a cage?
No way. There is no room for games in the cage. To begin with, the rabbit must exit the cage.