Have you or your child long wanted to start a dwarf rabbit at home? The decision to purchase this tiny animal must be balanced and considered, because the little rabbit requires special care, unlike the usual cats and dogs. Before buying, you have to figure out what conditions to keep, and how to care for decorative rabbits, since the well-being and life expectancy of your pet will depend on this.
Suitable conditions for decorative rabbits
If you want to avoid unnecessary trouble, do not take rabbits with long hair, no matter how cute they may seem to you. In order for the animal’s fur coat to look neat and not to get tangled, you will have to comb it thoroughly every day, spending a lot of time on it. Care for decorative short-haired rabbits is much easier in this regard. Among the popular breeds of dwarf rabbits, you are sure to find a cute short-haired fluffy that you like!
So, you have decided on the breed, now you need to prepare the cage for the rabbit, and only then go for the animal itself.
- Get a spacious cage, four times more than a small rabbit. there should be enough space for feeding troughs and drinking bowls, a tray and a house where the rabbit will rest;
- take a plastic pallet for the cage, not a trellis one, since the rabbit paws are not adapted to the net;
- the bottom of the cage should be non-slip, it is better not to pour straw or sawdust, otherwise the rabbit will constantly spoil the entire cage;
- pour shavings of deciduous trees, sawdust, paper or straw into the tray;
- on the bars of the cage, fix a manger for hay and an automatic watering machine, a heavy ceramic bowl is suitable for grain feed, which will be difficult for the rabbit to turn over.
Keep the cage out of the reach of other pets, away from the TV, radiators, and frequently opening doors. The place should be protected from direct sunlight and from drafts, but it should be well ventilated. Comfortable temperature for rabbits is 1820 degrees.
Place the cage out of the reach of other pets.
The cage should be cleaned twice a month, the tray should be washed at least once a week, but it is better after each use so that there is no smell in the room and the rabbit’s fur coat remains clean. If you regularly let your furry pet out for a walk around the apartment, put some trays around the rooms. Keep in mind that with the onset of the hunting period, males begin to shit on the floor where necessary, so it is better to castrate rabbits immediately after reaching 4 months of age.
Since rabbits are very fond of gnawing everything that falls into their field of vision, it is better to remove plants, electric wires, shoes, material valuables and objects dangerous to the animal’s health. Stock up on various toys that the rabbit can grind its teeth on, make tunnels for it from boxes with holes, because decorative rabbits need movement.
Keep in mind that rabbits are very timid, so it’s better to isolate them from talking with a cat and dog
How to care for a dwarf rabbit
It should be borne in mind that rabbits are very timid, therefore it is better to isolate them from communicating with a cat and a dog (from a loud dog barking in a little rabbit a heart can simply stop!). Also, do not start a decorative rabbit at home if you have a small child who will gladly grab the animal by the ears and the skin – as a result, the pet will get sick and wither from constant stress.
Rabbits have a very fragile spine; therefore, the animal should be picked up correctly so that it does not break out and fall from a great height. You can take the rabbit under the chest between the legs with one hand, holding the bottom with your other hand and holding it to you, or with one hand by the skin between the ears, slightly pulling the rabbit’s head back and supporting it with the second hand from the bottom.
With regard to the purity of the fur coat, dwarf rabbits care for the fur on their own. A pet can be washed only in extremely rare cases (for example, when it has diarrhea), while a wet animal must be carefully protected from drafts until its thick coat dries. If the rabbit is hot, it is better to wipe his ears with a cloth moistened with cold water – thermoregulation occurs through the ears of the rabbits. Or cover the cage with a wet towel, and put a bottle of cold water and pieces of ice inside the cage.
Important tips for caring for a decorative rabbit:
- daily let the animal out of the cage for a walk, but do not forget to look after it;
- during walks, take the rabbit in your arms, gently talk with it, stroke it on the back and on the head (but not on the chin);
- Until 16-17 hours do not disturb the pet, during the day he prefers to hide in his house;
- make sure that there is always clean water in the drinker and fresh, varied food in the feeders;
- vaccinate the rabbit on time;
- if necessary, cut the rabbit’s claws with claws or regular nail scissors, trying to prevent bleeding;
- do not yell at your pet and do not punish him, it is enough to say strictly “it is impossible!” if the rabbit started to dirty.
Do not yell at your pet and do not punish him
No matter how cute and charming decorative rabbits may seem, leaving and keeping them can bring you a lot of trouble. Therefore, first weigh everything carefully and think about whether you can provide these furry animals with proper care and give the necessary care?