Rabbits are prolific and precocious animals. Over the course of a year, the female can produce 4 bouts of 5-6 babies each. In order to create favorable conditions for her, it is necessary to prepare the mother liquor in advance, because rabbits are born without an edge and they need to create greenhouse conditions. In the wild, the rabbit herself takes care of creating a nest, and in the cage she needs help to do this. When building a mother liquor, remember that it must be warm and constructed so that the rabbits do not crawl out of it. Remember that if okrol falls in the winter, it is necessary not only to put straw in the mother liquor, but also to warm it with a heating pad or bottles of warm water.
Types and designs
When arranging a nest box, some points to consider:
- Raw material. Use thick plywood or wood. They perfectly keep heat, protect from wind, do not injure offspring, are environmentally friendly.
- Sizes. Depend on the breed being grown. For large ones – 50 x 40 x 32 are suitable, for small ones – 40 x 30 x 30. If the box is made too large, the female will freely move around it and stomp the babies.
- Type of mother liquor:
The cell area is divided into 2 unequal parts. Smaller – allocated for the arrangement of the nest. It is fenced off by a solid wall in which a hole is made at a height of 10 cm from the floor for the passage of the rabbit.
The most convenient option. Does not take up much space. When there is no need for it, they remove it from the cage, making room for the active movement of animals.
The simplest device of such a nest is to partition across a small space with a board placed on an edge 15 cm wide in the darkest part of the cage. It will prevent the rabbits from spreading and will create additional heat.
The nest box is a more complex design. It is a rectangle with a round or square hole of 20 cm in one side wall. How to make it yourself, we will analyze in more detail.
It’s easy to make a mother liquor for rabbits with your own hands. To do this, you need to prepare tools and materials in advance:
It consists of the following operations:
- Mark the length of the bars with a ruler and pencil.
- We knock out the frame.
- We cut out plywood or wall boards: 4 large and 2 small.
- Nail the side walls and floor to the base.
- Slightly above the middle we cut a hole-hole in the front panel.
- We make the top cover removable, fixing it with hooks. To monitor the condition of the nest, timely cleaning.
The prepared mother liquor is put in a cage 5 days before a bout. The floor is covered with straw or hay, which the female covers from above with her down. A simple design will help preserve offspring and create favorable conditions for the development of babies.