Pets rabbits have a history of their origin from a wild European rabbit, this is the only species that could domesticate and as a result a large variety of breeds was obtained, close to 200. These are one of the prettiest representatives of the domesticated rabbit breed – decorative rabbits. Their total number is more than 60 breeds.
A decorative rabbit is not enough to love, it needs to be properly fed and maintained
Rabbits are perfect as a pet, they do not bite, do not have their own parasites, because their food mainly consists of plant foods, they are not at all prone to making any sounds, and this suggests that they are completely harmless to children. If the domestic rabbit is provided with good care, they can live up to 8-12 years old, unlike, for example, hamsters or guinea pigs, and the rabbits are very smart. All rabbits need is your love, care and attention, as well as proper maintenance and care. These are very sensitive creatures, which, undoubtedly, can reciprocate with you.
The content of decorative rabbits
So, you made your choice, and a small pet settled in your house. What is the most important thing you need to know about keeping decorative rabbits?
- It is important to remember that rabbits are very sensitive and gentle creatures! Handle them very gently and try not to expose them to stress. It is better not to let the children "squeeze" these animals. It is completely unacceptable to take a rabbit by the ears and withers.
- Rabbits love increased attention to themselves, from this they only become more obedient. At the same time, independent walks around your pet’s apartment should be avoided.
- It is desirable that the cage should be at least 70 cm in size. Rabbits cannot tolerate stuffiness, drafts, cold – this is unacceptable for them. The best option is to place the cage away from the battery, air conditioner, doors and windows, the most ideal option is to put the cage on a special low-sized cabinet. Rabbits and heat are very poorly tolerated, so in the summer you need to think about how you can cool the air. For a complete cleaning and disinfection of the cells, once a month is enough.
- Each rabbit needs its own “mink”, the more spacious it is, the better, of course. It is advisable to use wood litter and replace it 2 times a week, a sunbed in the form of a rug is also desirable.
- For the most part, the rabbit prefers to lead a nocturnal lifestyle, and devotes daytime to rest.
- The rabbit is able to take care of itself, to monitor the cleanliness of its fur, so bathing is required as the animal is contaminated.
- It is necessary to cut nails once a month.
- It is advisable to look at the bite of the teeth once a month – ideally, it is advisable that the veterinarian conduct an examination, as dental diseases are possible.
- Coordinate the timing of deworming and vaccination with a veterinarian.
- Buy a feeder for bulk feed is better with a latch. For hay, a sennik is suitable. In a drinking bowl, water needs to be changed once a day.
- The basis of the rabbit’s diet is hay, a little grain and, in the form of goodies, juicy feed. It will be very good if you train the rabbit in specialized feeds, as they contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals. Rabbits are very fond of greens, but should not be given much.
For any malaise of the rabbit, you need to call a doctor at home (a radiologist with sufficient experience will take the necessary tests and be able to provide the necessary help). Transporting the animal to the clinic is only necessary if absolutely necessary, as this can be very stressful for the rabbit.
About feeding decorative rabbits
In order for the rabbit’s life to be long and healthy, it is necessary to monitor its diet. How to feed a decorative rabbit so that it is the right food? The answer is below.
Decorative rabbits can be attributed to rodents. They need constant grinding of teeth, and this means that your pet will constantly bite something. And since the food that makes up the main diet of rabbits is vegetable, and it is not as nutritious as meat, for example, rabbits need to eat a lot to get the required amount of nutrients. Thus, your pet may still be that glutton.
Alpine hay for decorative animals
In order for the decorative rabbit to remain fun and healthy, you need to answer the question of what decorative rabbits eat, and take hay as the basis for its diet. It can and should be given to both adult rabbits and babies in unlimited quantities throughout the year. Hay very well helps promote food through the intestines. And also with regular use of hay, it is possible to avoid a fairly common disease of rabbits – the formation of lumps of wool that have fallen into the stomach. Fresh hay is best for feeding a rabbit if it is of high quality, fragrant and has a pleasant greenish color. High-quality hay for rabbits contains protein, carotenoids ("raw materials" necessary for vitamin A), various vitamins. You can prepare it yourself, but remember, the place chosen for the preparation should be located away from the roadway.
Deciduous twig feed
The branch feed for decorative rabbits is essentially no different from the nutrition of ordinary rabbits
This type of feed helps to improve the quality and digestibility of feed, and also contributes to the overall growth and healthy development of decorative rabbits. It is usually customary to use tree species such as aspen, linden, birch, acacia, willow, maple, ash, apple and pear. It is not advisable to feed branches of buckthorn, broom, elderberry, bird cherry, wild rosemary, apricot, cherry, sweet cherry, peach, plum and some other trees. According to its nutritional composition, deciduous-branch food can be equated to meadow grasses, and the branches themselves to meadow hay. The nutritional value of the branches directly depends on the age of the tree, the younger and thinner the branches and the greater the number of leaves on them, the more their nutritional value increases. At the same time, the leaves contain a large amount of protein, amino acids, carotene, they contain a lot of fats and minerals.
And still it is necessary differentially to branch feeds. For example, sprigs of oak and alder need to be given to rabbits in small quantities, and then when observing the gastrointestinal tract (oak bark and leaves contain tannins in their composition, and they have a fixing effect in case of intestinal disorders). It is not advisable to give rabbits a large number of birch branches, because they have a diuretic effect, and can lead to inflammation of the kidneys. You should pay attention to the needles of juniper, spruce and pine, they contain a lot of essential oils and tannins, vitamins B, C, E, and carotene.
A handful of concentrated feed for decorative rabbits
These include corn, barley and oats. Oat is a valuable food product, it has a good effect on the digestion processes, it is recommended to be fed whole rabbits for adult rabbits, and rabbits, as well as lactating and weakened rabbits, will be given Hercules in flattened form, or what would also be nice – a mixture of cereal from three cereals.
It’s also good to add some leeward bread or not fried crackers to the diet. Rabbits have a tremendous delicacy of cookies, sometimes you can treat your pet with oatmeal cookies as a treat.
The grass is rich in nutrients and vitamins, in addition, rabbits love to eat it and it is perfectly absorbed. Here are the most common wild plants that can and should be fed to rabbits: sow thistle, young nettle, wheat grass, alfalfa, vetch, burdock, dandelion, plantain, tansy, wild clover. It is very good if the green mass is diverse in composition, and does not consist of plants of only one species.
If you feed various herbs to rabbits, including wild ones, you need to be wary of poisonous plants. Most of them can usually be used in small doses as medicinal in medicine. Very carefully you need to observe the feeding of decorative rabbits with wormwood, some of its species are poisonous. If you doubt the safety of a plant, it is best to remove it.
Carrots – is a universal and unique food for the content of vitamins and essential acids. In rabbits, carrots are a favorite treat. You can also offer rabbits apples, pears, watermelon, bananas, green beans, beets, green peas, etc. It is not advisable to give cabbage, because it often causes diarrhea.
Vitamin-mineral dressing must be introduced into the diet of young rabbits, pregnant and lactating females. They will also benefit from feed chalk containing a lot of calcium.
Brewer’s yeast – is the most valuable protein and vitamin supplement. They contain many amino acids, as well as almost all B vitamins (except B 12), provitamin D 2, minerals such as zinc, phosphorus, iron, copper, cobalt, and other biologically active compounds.
Salt is very necessary for the body to enrich the diet with sodium, which is necessary for the body to function well and digest.
Special mineral-salt stones for decorative rodents come from various manufacturers.
Rabbits need feeding 2-3 times a day. Pure water should be in the cell constantly.
Summing up on such a thing as feeding decorative rabbits, we can distinguish the following rules that must be observed:
- Only use benign water and feed.
- Feed rabbits at the same time.
- Whatever type of feeding you choose, hay should always be in the diet.
- It is necessary to gradually introduce food into the diet, as well as replace the feed one by one, over 5-7 days. Special care should be taken when adding succulent feed to dry foods (such as fresh grass, vegetables and fruits).
- The first time after jigging or buying a rabbit (about 2 weeks), you need to feed the same feeds that he received earlier.
- Giving rabbits fresh grass only after drying, it is strictly forbidden to offer rabbits grass that was picked in the morning, especially during dew.
- The grass growing near the tracks and dog walking areas does not even need to be procured for rabbits, because they can get poisoning from heavy metals and other harmful substances.
- If you offer rabbits fresh grass, then there must be hay in their diet.
- Vegetables and fruits should be offered raw, after thorough processing with water and cleaned of spoiled areas.
- And the most important thing is to ensure that the diet of decorative rabbits is varied and balanced enough.
That’s all. Follow the tips on keeping and feeding decorative rabbits and your pet will always be healthy and cheerful.