Digestion in Pets – unstable process. Breeders often report bloating in rabbits.
The name of this disease is gastrointestinal stasis (abbreviated as FSA), or tympanum. This can be life threatening.
Why rabbits may swell their stomach, causes and symptoms
There is no smooth muscle in the structure of the rabbit stomach, which contracts and promotes the swallowed portion of the feed, as is the case with living things.
A new portion of food in rabbits moves forward due to the fact that the next one is pushing it.
Disruptions in the digestive tract immediately cause stagnation in the intestinal lumen. The abdomen of a rabbit quickly swells up like a ball, and in case of emergency emergency refusal, it quickly dies.
The causes of malaise are many:
- stress caused by loud noise or bright light;
- a sharp change in weather;
- ferrets, stray dogs, weasels and other predators;
- change of diet – the stomachs of rodents are not able to instantly switch to a new feed;
- dehydration (rabbits need to drink up to 0.5 l of water per day);
- improper nutrition – a lack of dietary fiber makes digestion difficult;
- poor or inappropriate food that causes fermentation in the stomach;
- ingestion of pieces of wool, hair, etc., not subject to digestion.
Bloating in a rabbit
Tympany develops due to impaired intestinal microflora, its main causes:
- Inactive lifestyle due to too small a cell or a large content of adult individuals in it.
- Diseases of the teeth and the oral cavity as a whole, which are more susceptible to adult rabbits. It is painful for an animal to chew food – it swallows large pieces or refuses to eat food at all.
- Frequent treatment with antibiotics that kill not only pathogenic, but also beneficial intestinal microflora.
Attention! A rumbling rabbit stomach doesn’t always mean illness! Some foods (legumes, white cabbage, raw grass) are difficult to digest with a gentle stomach, hence flatulence.
Symptoms of FSW, unlike other diseases
FSW in rabbits is determined at the initial stage; it is especially easy for experienced farmers to recognize it.
Important! Even a slightly bloated abdomen can signal an animal’s malaise.
Do not panic and prepare for the worst – a rabbit can be quickly helped.
For this, it is necessary to determine the cause of the disease by some signs:
- Stool problems. In the rabbit cage for 10-12 hours there is no litter, feces have changed their usual color or decreased in size.
- Sluggish state, apathy, lack of appetite, inhibited state. Healthy rabbits always have an excellent appetite, they are active and jump from place to place.
- Audible rumbling in the stomach, flatulence, gurgling. This is a reason to feel the belly of a rabbit. The presence of lumps or seals in the wall area indicates poor digestion of the feed, accumulated gases, fluid and food debris in the esophagus.
Pet breeding experts recommend that beginners purchase a stethoscope – a device that allows you to listen to the intestines of animals and accurately determine the causes of poor digestion.
Sometimes sick FSW rabbits look like dead ones – an upset, swollen belly strongly presses on the diaphragm, causing the pet unbearable pain.
Hence, disturbances or breath holdings that inexperienced breeders may mistake for fainting or death.
Important! If blood clots are present in the litter of young and adult rabbits, a lot of mucus or the animal is vomiting for a long time, it is urgent to call a veterinarian!
How to correctly treat bloating in a rabbit
When digestive problems are detected, experienced farmers are advised to adhere to the following system of behavior:
- It is important to separate the diseased individual separately – this will prevent the possible infection of healthy pets.
- The animal is captured under the front legs and laid on its back with its head to itself, after which they probe and massage the tummy. All manipulations with the rabbit are carried out only after his reassurance, when the pet will cease to break out of hands and get nervous.
- If the abdominal cavity is really swollen, you need to start treatment with alternative or medication.
Treatment with folk remedies
The most accessible and non-hazardous methods for the rabbit organism are watering with herbal decoctions and massage of the tummy.
Decoctions – An easy therapeutic and prophylactic agent, therefore, in emergency periods when a rabbit needs specialist intervention, this method is not suitable.
Herbs (dandelion, pharmacy chamomile, dill, wormwood) in dry, crushed form can be added to the pet food. To stop the grumbling and flatulence in rabbits, vodka (moonshine) is used.
An adult is not more than 2 tbsp. l., it is important to heat the liquid to a warm state. Permissible strength of the drink is not higher than 30 degrees.
It is important for the rabbit to ensure peace, freedom of movement and access to water. If there is an opportunity for walking the animal nearby, it is recommended to release it.
Important! A sick pet will not drink medicinal decoctions or alcohol alone. You need to take a rubber "pear" or a syringe without a needle and pour liquid into his mouth. It is better to do this together, so that the frightened animal does not break out and does not injure itself.
Massage helps push a portion of food that has settled in the esophagus. It is performed gently, gently massaging the region of the tummy from the head to the tail or clockwise.
Rabbit tummy massage
You can’t put your fingers on the peritoneum – It’s so easy to hurt an animal. If after 5-7 minutes the pet does not feel better, it is worth moving on to more serious treated measures.
Medicines, analgesics, antibiotics
Not all medications recommended for treating rabbits should be used in practice. They are not always beneficial, and sometimes can only exacerbate the situation.
However, some drugs must be kept in a veterinary medicine cabinet:
- Tympanol – a means to combat abdominal distention in ruminants. To determine the dosage, they are repelled from the weight of the individual: 0.5 mg of the drug is taken per 1 kg. It is mixed with a tablespoon of warm water and poured into the rabbit’s mouth. The effect of the drug occurs within half an hour. Side effects when taking tympanol is not observed.
- Activated carbon – An even safer product. In a glass of warm water, 2-3 crushed tablets are diluted and evaporated with a solution of sick individuals.
It is forbidden to make enemas for pets, use heating pads and other equipment that may seem useful or effective in treatment.
Important! Only a veterinarian is allowed to use them in relation to animals. This also applies to antibiotics and other medicines – only a specialist can prescribe them.
What to do with this disease, diet and food
Digestive upset in rabbits lasts about 2-5 days. The whole period they need special nutrition and care.
From the "menu" rabbits and adults exclude any fruits, herbs, vegetables (especially beet tops, all kinds of cabbage, legumes).
Suitable foods are oats, hay, squash, pumpkin. Suitable as feed ordinary parsley, sage, pharmacy chamomile, dandelions.
Prevention of tympanum and FSW in rabbits
To prevent the development of tympanum in animals, the rabbit breeder must observe the following rules:
- Do not feed rabbits sugar, sweets.
- Provide free livestock access to fresh water.
- Do not overfeed pets with fruits, vegetables, juicy greens.
- Feed the rabbits only high-quality products with no signs of mold and rot. It is forbidden to give fermented or spoiled food.
An observing breeder will always notice anxiety, nervous tension, lethargy, loss of appetite in the behavior of the animal, and early detection of bloating.
It is not necessary without an accurate diagnosis to give rabbits certain preparations on their own. Improper care can result in serious illness or death of the individual.
To avoid these problems, it is better to contact a veterinary clinic and begin treatment after a medical consultation. Do not change the prescribed dosage of drugs – this is also fraught with a worsening of the condition of the animals.