Decorative rabbits are smart and neat pets, so animal lovers are happy to bring fluffy animals. However, such a home resident often brings to the owners not only positive emotions, but also certain troubles. Since the rabbit needs a toilet, it must be accustomed to the tray from an early age. But in order to teach the animal simple rules of hygiene, it will take a lot of strength and patience.
How to choose the right
The choice of a quality and proper tray, toilet filler is the main condition for the successful training of the rabbit. He perceives this hygiene item as a foreign body, so the tray must be convenient for the animal.
- When keeping a rabbit in a small area, the corner tray is the most convenient. It has a triangular shape, which allows you to install it in one of the corners of the cell with a minimum waste of free space.
- When keeping the animal in a large cage or in a special fence, a small rectangular tray is optimal. Its main advantage is the ability to install anywhere.
The tray must have a grid or mesh. This design makes it possible to achieve the optimal balance of hygiene and comfort for the animal, since it does not require replacement of the litter after each bowel movement.
In addition, a dish with a grid provides direct contact with the litter, and this is not only perceived by the rabbit positively, but also causes increased interest, which is important for early training.
The main requirements for a hygienic filler are:
- complete safety for the animal organism;
- high degree of absorption of liquids;
- ability to absorb the maximum amount of unpleasant odors.
The most suitable material for these purposes is a granular filler made from environmentally friendly sawdust. He is able to instantly react with feces and safely bind them for a long time.
Representatives of the Zaitsevaya family get acquainted with the environment primarily with the help of taste buds, so the litter must be hypoallergenic and non-toxic, otherwise the animal can get serious poisoning.
They will help to qualitatively absorb all feces, but such litter must be changed after each bowel movement. Bulk materials are not able to dryly bind all liquids, and domestic rabbits walk on need only in clean and dry places.
How to train a rabbit in a tray
Decorative rabbits are stubborn in nature, so it is much more difficult to accustom them to the tray than cats. The animal practically does not admit its mistakes, so punishments in training are useless. In addition, excessive persistence can lead to the complete rejection of the stationary toilet, which threatens not only the spread of an unpleasant odor from the cage, but also health problems of the pet.
The success of training animals depends on many factors, which is why it is difficult to predict the appearance of the first results. Often young animals are most prone to learning, so it is recommended to train pets in hygiene from a young age. This process will require tolerance, perseverance and understanding.
Only in this case, in 2-3 weeks it will be possible to thoroughly inspire the pet with new rules of behavior.
The main steps to teach a rabbit to toilet:
- The animal should be familiar with the capacity for the toilet, for this it is placed with the filler in a cage for several days. During this time, the pet should get used to the tray and stop perceiving it as a stress factor.
- After the animal has mastered, a small amount of feces or dirty litter should be added to the granules. This will help to attract the rabbit and show him for what purpose this area of the cage exists.
- If the rabbit did not start going to the toilet on its own, he must urgently explain why a new accessory appeared in the cage. To do this, wait for the moment when the animal sits down to defecate, and a few seconds before the start of the process, transfer it to the tray. At the same time, it is imperative to control that the litter does not fall out of the tray, otherwise the rabbit will spoil throughout the cage.
- In the first few days, the furry pet will strongly reject the new hygiene rules, so perseverance and patience should be maintained. If the pet stubbornly ignores the tray, several containers for the toilet must be installed in the cage at once – this will help the animal to determine the best place for stool itself.
Why the accustomed rabbit stopped going to the tray
Often, decorative rabbits can be successfully trained, but in some cases, the result, fixed by hard efforts, can be instantly lost. This leads to the fact that the pet begins to crap outside the toilet, in any place convenient for him.
There can be many reasons for abrupt behavioral changes, but in most cases this is a direct consequence of all kinds of stresses, or the physiological characteristics of the body.
Among them, the most common are the following:
- Bowel movement causes moral discomfort – often this happens with a careless relationship with the animal, when it does not feel like a master of its territory; in this case, a natural marking of the area occurs. You can overcome the problem with careful and careful handling of the animal. The cage should be his home and not cause negative emotions, and the toilet should be equipped in a distant and darkened corner of the home.
- Puberty – at the age of 3-4 months, representatives of the Zaytsevaya family begin puberty. The furry animal becomes an adult, therefore, in a hurry to mark its territory at all costs. This process is natural for almost all animals and passes over time. It can be prevented by timely castration.
- The emergence of a new animal – if the bowel movement outside the tray began due to the appearance of a new relative in the cage, it is not worth scolding the pet, as it simply marks its territory. This is a natural norm, therefore, in this case, it takes a short time to adapt to new conditions (no more than a few days).
- Stressful situation – rabbits are quite shy, the appearance of any stress factors in their environment causes them a strong shock. Most often, such a pet experiences severe stress after the arrival of guests, the emergence of new territory, the taking in the hands of a stranger, the appearance of another animal in the apartment. As a result, the animal can completely lose all the skills learned before this. To help in this situation, refreshing the memory of the pet will help – for this you need to repeat the accustoming to the tray again. In most cases, after a few days, he will again remember what he learned.
Frequently asked Questions
Even getting used to the tray, the animal does not always use it properly. Consider the most common problems that arise when training the animal.
What to do if the rabbit goes to bed in a tray
A rabbit’s special love for his tray is not desirable. This accessory is equipped for hygiene, therefore, this phenomenon must be prevented. Otherwise, it can cause serious infections.
Most often, this bad habit is observed in insufficiently neat cells. Going to bed in a tray, the rabbit spreads feces over the entire area of the cage, as a result of which the pet’s sense of dividing living space into zones is disturbed.
Overcoming the problem is pretty easy.
To do this, you need:
- as often as possible to clear the cell of feces;
- Be sure to change the litter after each bowel movement.
This will help in just a few weeks to return the animal to its previous regime.
What to do if a rabbit goes to the toilet near the tray
Quite often, the owners of rabbits encounter a problem when the animal manages to be taught to walk in one place correctly, but the rabbit still does not cease to ignore the tray and walks a few centimeters from the tank.
This is often the result of an excessive amount of filler in the tray, or too high sides. As a result, control over the amount of filler will help, as well as a more careful selection of the capacity for the pet’s toilet.
Compliance with general hygiene rules is one of the main conditions for the safe and safe keeping of decorative rabbits. And learning to defecate in a tray is very important for optimal sanitary conditions in the cage.
It is not easy to accustom the animal to this, but if you acquire perseverance and make the necessary efforts, your pet will surely learn everything.