Rabbits are used not only for meat and valuable skins, but also as pets. Today it has become fashionable to keep eared animals in apartments, walk with them on the street and even travel. The leash for the rabbit is a thing that the owner of the animal cannot do without, it is impossible to let the pet play in the grass without it, otherwise it will run away. The article will tell you what requirements a leash should meet, what kinds of harnesses are, and how to make equipment for walking independently.
Why does the rabbit have a leash?
Long-eared rodents are active animals; they like to move and play a lot. Such a lifestyle benefits them. Walking in the warm season also helps the animal stay healthy. Fresh air is one of the main conditions for strengthening immunity. However, it is impossible to walk with a rabbit without a leash. These animals are very shy. Hearing a loud sound and finding themselves in an unfamiliar environment, they experience intense fear. During the walk, the animal may be frightened and run away. To prevent this from happening, you will need a leash.
Types of Leashes for Rabbits
Not every outfit for walking suits rabbits. A normal collar is not suitable for them for the following reasons:
- creating a leash tension, the animal may be injured or even die from suffocation, as its neck muscles are poorly developed;
- the pet will easily slip out of the collar if it feels danger.
For walks with a furry animal, you should use only leashes for rabbits, harnesses. Their peculiarity is that the animal is held in a special way, so that no load is created on the neck. The harness wraps around the neck and chest of the animal, which completely eliminates the traumatic factor and rabbit escape. Leashes are different:
- Rope They consist of several nylon straps. One of them is fastened on the neck, the other on the chest. These parts of the uniform are interconnected by a jumper on the back of the animal. It is to her that the leash is attached.
- Harness with body (harness-clothes). This is a better rabbit outfit option. Outwardly, it resembles a vest, to the top of which a leash is attached. The harness is made of thick fabric and is usually equipped with Velcro or plaque fasteners in the neck and chest of the pet.
Harness with body
How to wear a leash on a rabbit?
Having no experience, putting a leash on a rabbit is not easy. The animal will resist, and its owner will become nervous. The construction of the harness itself is quite simple. If you consider it, it will become clear what to do with it.
If we are talking about a rope model, then you need to put a smaller diameter strap on your pet’s neck and fasten it, and put the larger one on the rabbit’s chest. There should be a jumper on the back, there is a ring on it, for which the leash carbine clings.
When dressing the rabbit in a new outfit, make sure that:
- between the straps and the neck of the animal, the index finger passes freely;
- clasps did not pinch the skin of the pet;
- the animal will not be able to free itself if it begins to actively move.
With a different model, difficulties should not arise. The harness-vest is put on like this – put it on the back of the pet, wrap the body and fasten the Velcro or retainers in the neck and chest. A properly worn harness does not squeeze the body, but does not hang on the body of the animal.
How to make a do-it-yourself harness?
Materials and tools:
- a piece of dense fabric, it is better to take the finished braid from nylon;
- lining soft material;
- needle and durable thread or sewing machine;
- buckles – 2 pieces;
Step-by-step instructions for making a rabbit leash:
- We take measurements. It is necessary to measure the girth of the neck and chest of the animal, as well as the distance between these parts of the body. We fix the data on paper.
- Cut 3 pieces of tape. The first is 10 cm more than the girth of the animal’s neck. The second piece is 10 cm longer than the circumference of the chest. The third (connecting jumper) – 8-10 cm more than the distance from the neck to the chest of the animal. Stock fabric will go to the seams.
- We sew all 3 fragments from the inside with a soft cloth.
- On the first two fragments of the braid from one end we make a loop, we pass the buckle-fastener into it. We make holes at the opposite ends of the fabric with an awl. It is advisable to process the perforation places with threads or use special metal rivets so that the fabric does not fray.
- In the center of the jumper, which connects the two straps, we make a loop, we put a ring into it. Subsequently, it is to him that the leash carbine will be attached.
- We connect the three parts together so that the jumper is on the back of the animal.
Attention! The finished product must be tried on to make sure that the fasteners are adjusted correctly. If necessary, make another 1-2 holes on the straps if the harness is loose.
Safe Walking Rules
Before you go for a walk with a rabbit, you need to give him the opportunity to get used to a new subject. First, the harness is worn at home for a short time. Do not attach a leash to it, let the animal master. If you increase the time spent in the harness every day, the pet will soon get used to it.
Rabbit on a leash
You can walk with the animal in warm weather, when there is no rainfall and strong gusts of wind. It is worth choosing places where it is quiet and calm, because rabbits are very afraid of noise and crowds. In case of danger, the owner of the animal can lift it directly by the leash, without fear that it will cause him injury. The leash for the rabbit supports it under the front legs and chest, and not behind the neck.
Important! You can walk with a rabbit starting from 4 months. The animal must be vaccinated in advance with vaccines against myxomatosis and HBV, as well as rabies.