Making a motherboard for rabbits with your own hands is quite simple, if you strictly follow the instructions and drawings.
In the wild, all breeds of rabbits give birth underground in burrows. Therefore, at home they will also need some semblance of such a hole. In fact, for this it is enough to put together a small box with one entrance and place it in a cage. But what sizes should it be and whether it is necessary to separately make different mother liquors for different breeds? This will be discussed later in the article.
In principle, rabbit breeders always make standard designs for rabbits of any breed. But if the breed that you keep at home is very large, then you can increase the size of the structure in one and a half, or even twice. The main thing is that it then fit into the cage. But if it does not fit, it does not matter either. You can always remove the side wall, and instead make a continuation of the rabbitry in the form of a whole compartment-mother liquor. Then there is plenty of space for any large rabbit.
As you can see, there are tons of options and you yourself, having a little imagination, can easily come up with exactly what you need. Now let’s talk about materials. For making do-it-yourself, wood, plywood, chipboard or OSB is often used. The manufacturing itself is very simple and quick and does not take much time. Although we will have to tinker a little with the design given. But then you will get a practical, reliable and well-insulated mother queen, in which the rabbit and babies will feel comfortable even in winter.
Our design will be in standard sizes. It can easily be used for most breeds. The size of the bottom is 300×500 mm. The front and back walls are the same size as the bottom. The side walls will be 350×300 mm, and the top cover, which will open, is 350×550 mm. A hole with a diameter of 150 mm is made in the front wall, somewhere at a distance of 50 mm from the lateral edge, as shown in the photo above. Through this hole, the rabbit will climb into the mother queen for rabbits.
Materials and tools
- plywood for the walls;
- rail 25×25 mm or 25×30 mm;
- pieces of a board 25 mm thick;
- sawdust for insulation;
- one long or a couple of small canopies;
- hammer and other tools if necessary.
- Since the mother liquor for rabbits will be used in the winter, the walls in it will be double. Therefore, for each wall of plywood, you need to cut a couple of blanks.
- Now you need to assemble the walls. We take one plywood blank from each pair and we trim it around the perimeter with a rail as in the photo.
- Now, as a heater, we fall asleep inside the sawdust and carefully compress them.
- We pin the second plywood half of the wall. We do this to everyone except the front wall.
- Since there must be a hole in the form of a hole in the front, then where it will be made, we sew it up with a board as in the photo. We cover the remaining half of the wall with a rail and fill it with insulation.
- Now we fully assemble the front wall and make an entrance with a diameter of 150 mm.
- We assemble the design according to the photo. The top is attached with a canopy so that it can be opened. So the mother liquor for rabbits will always be easy to clean and check if everything is in order with the babies without disturbing them.
On this, a do-it-yourself construction is considered complete. It remains only to place her in a cage with a pregnant rabbit. If desired, the entrance can be cut from any side, it all depends on how the mother liquor will be placed in the cage. It is also possible to make a folding not the top, but some other wall or its half.
In very severe winters, in the bottom, instead of a heater, it is necessary to provide for any weak heating element. The easiest option is something like a heating pad. You can also tilt the floor slightly to simplify cleaning. And finally, you can always modify the design and adjust it to your requirements and to your breed of rabbits.