How many rabbits live depends on what species and breed they belong to, and the conditions of detention. Also important is the nature of the diet and the susceptibility of the animal to seasonal diseases. We can say that rabbits live on average about 5-6 years. With adequate care, the correct selection of the cage, the organization of living space, careful attention and timely veterinary care, the period that the pet will live increases to 9 years.
What determines the life of rabbits
There are a number of interrelated factors that affect how much these cute animals live. Among them are the following:
- heredity. One of the main factors affecting the life span of a rabbit is its pedigree, i.e. genetic component. It is important that the breeding process is properly organized in the breeder’s estate or nursery. The responsible breeder divides the family of pets and monitors the purity of the mating in order to obtain strong viable offspring without developmental disabilities.
- immunity and breed diseases. The next important condition, on the observance of which the quality and life time of rabbits, depends on timely vaccination of animals and prevention of myxomatosis in combination with viral hemorrhagic disease. Decorative rabbits are vaccinated with multifunctional vaccines. This is due to the fact that throughout life they are in direct contact with people. Vaccines can protect animals immediately from a complex of diseases. Usually, one vaccine can protect pets from pasteurellosis, rabies, paraphitis and listeriosis.
- care and timely care. Despite preventive measures, rabbits still remain very sensitive to any pathologies and can die even from a mild infection. Therefore, the timely start of treatment is the first step to increasing the life of the pet. In case of any deviation from normal behavior, lethargic or abnormal condition of the animal, acute or mild symptoms, you should immediately contact your veterinarian, try to get specialist advice by phone or online and take initial measures. This moment especially affects how many years decorative rabbits live.
- microclimate. The quality of existence of the animal is significantly affected by climatic conditions. Central heating radiators, air conditioners installed for heating, microwave ovens have a detrimental effect on the health and well-being of rabbits. In a room, a barn, any other room where a cage or animal shelter is located, it is necessary to install a thermometer and control the temperature. For species that live outdoors, on the street, it is important to prevent excessive stay in direct sunlight and in the cold. It is advisable to consult with the breeder, from whom the pet was purchased, regarding his usual conditions of detention and temperatures.
- freedom of movement. Sufficient personal space is another important factor in prolonging the life of animals. The animal needs to be able to not only freely move around the space of the corral, aviary or cage, this space should be bright and equipped, as these animals are oppressed by excessive limitation of area and activity. You can let out decorative rabbits for walking under supervision of the apartment, and even better – in the open air.
- psychological state. Another important point is communication. Rabbits need a company, and not only the owners, but also their own kind or other friendly pets. According to statistics, animals that have contact with other animals live much longer. If the owners do not have the financial or housing opportunity to get another animal, they should take care to establish communication between the rabbit and other friendly animals from time to time.
How many years rabbits live: wild, ordinary domestic and decorative
A wild rabbit that lives in northern Africa, southern Europe, Australia and New Zealand can live 10-12 years. However, in fact, such a life span is found only in individuals living in Australia, where the animals have no natural enemies. In other regions, animals in the wild are able to live up to 3-4 years. The reason for such a noticeable difference is the presence of predators in the middle climatic zone and southern latitudes, breed diseases and a regular decrease in numbers due to hunting and the possibility of adverse weather conditions. Thus, how many years rabbits live in such circumstances – it is difficult to say for sure, this is due to external circumstances.
An ordinary average pet, an inhabitant of a summer house or plot near a private house and courtyard, the breed of which was obtained by breeding from a wild European or Australian rabbit, lives up to 4-5 years. This figure stands out given the fact that in nurseries and villages representatives of the so-called beef-like meat breed prevail, which simply do not last longer. It is known that if such an animal is not killed, the rabbit is able to live for 8 years. Castrated individuals live longer – up to 12 years.
On a note! Decorative rabbits – a special conversation. Regarding their lifetimes vary greatly due to possible species, country of origin and breed.
So, how many years do decorative rabbits live at home? The oldest and most common – lop-eared ram and rex – live about 7-8 years. They are unpretentious, well-selected (bred in the first quarter of the twentieth century), rarely receive spontaneous injuries. But animal breeds of colored dwarf rabbit are more tender: they were finally formed by selection in 1945-1950. Short legs and a body, combined with a cute asymmetry in the direction of weighting of the back half of the body and a short neck look very tiny, but it increases the likelihood of injuries, even if the rabbit lives in the apartment. They are also able to live up to 7 years, but in practice their average lifespan is 4-5 years.
How many rabbits live, depending on the habitat
In the natural environment there are many unfavorable phenomena and circumstances for rabbits: climatic anomalies, the presence of predators, lack of treatment and prevention of pathologies and infections, susceptibility to infection with parasites and viruses, seasonal periods of hunting. However, these representatives of the animal world have sufficient immunity. Based on the above examples, the animals live for about 3 years.
In domestic rabbits, even those living in a private house, immunity is much weaker. However, human care, timely treatment and adequate care allow animals to live for 6-7 years. There are even champions.
Interesting! On one of the English farms, Flippy’s rabbit lived for 18 years.
However, do not forget that a standing rabbit that lives in a country house or plot is usually intended for household needs. Such animals are most often allowed for meat in 3-4 years.
How many decorative rabbits live at home, when most of the time they live in a cage or a special aviary, depends on a number of factors. Specific selection and restriction of movement reduce the average life expectancy. In standing rabbits, it reaches 7 years, in lop-eared breeds it is about 5 years. Dwarf species usually live 6 years.
Decorative rabbit in a cage
How to extend the life of a pet
So, if the owner wants his pet to live and please the whole family as long as possible, some rules should be followed.
- You need to choose a rabbit from the offspring of a nursery or a breeder with a good reputation. Heredity is one of the determining factors that affects the life expectancy of a baby, so you should not ignore it.
- It is useful to ensure that the baby undergoes timely vaccination and prevention of infection with parasites.
- It is necessary to ensure that the rabbit does not overheat and does not have to endure large temperature extremes. You also need to protect the animal from drafts.
- It should provide the pet with sufficient motor activity and space. You need to walk it up to 1 hour a day under supervision in the house or outside it.
- Stress must not be allowed. For animals such as rabbits, it is destructive. Do not drop or scare babies who are in their arms, beware of frequent changes of places, placing rabbits near a constant source of noise or sudden loud noises. It is important to ensure that the pet does not feel lonely: take care of its interaction with someone else from the animals.
- It is important to monitor rabbit hygiene. Wash the drinker and bowls of the animal once a day, change food and water, filler, sawdust. Not to allow "crowding" of animals, excessive crowding of their habitation.
If the owners make sure that all of the above conditions are met, you can count on the new friend to fully live out the period measured to him.