Rabbits, like other pets, do not mind to frolic and play. If they are healthy, then a good appetite makes them constantly chew. They grow quickly, the hair becomes thick, silky. The concern of the owners is caused by pets, who suddenly became listless and indifferent, drink and eat a lot, but this does not affect them positively. The reason for the change in behavior may lie in helminths, which affected the animal’s body.
How does infection happen?
If other pets (cats, dogs) walk on the street, then getting infected with worms is simple for them. The owner can not always keep track of what the pet is pulling in his mouth. Perhaps this is a piece of food spoiled and piled in the ground. And on it in large numbers – worm eggs. The animal becomes infected instantly. While the incubation period takes place, worms in rabbits develop in the body, but for some time they still do not manifest themselves.
Up to 10 types of worms can hit a pet’s body: tapeworms, roundworms and flukes. One of the most common species is rabbit pinworm – small roundworm, laying eggs in the anus.
Subsequently, the eggs and larvae of the worms are found in the excrement of the infected pet. And the rabbit, also living in the house, costs nothing to get helminths from a cat or dog. Unfortunately, alarming symptoms appear only when the parasites are already "hosting" in the body. Eating the contents of the intestine and sticking to its walls, they injure the mucous membrane and cause intoxication with the products of their vital activity. Pathogenic bacteria rush into the microscopic wounds, causing inflammation. The condition is very dangerous for the eared one. He may die if measures are not taken in time.
Symptoms of helminthiasis
Symptoms indicating infection with worms:
- The rabbit is thirsty, he often drinks a lot, goes to the toilet much more often than usual.
- In the feces, you can find mucus of a greenish tint. The animal begins to suffer from diarrhea or constipation, the consistency of the litter is heterogeneous.
- An animal may lose its appetite or, conversely, eat a lot and often.
- Wool loses its healthy glow, fades, begins to fall out in large quantities.
- The sclera of the eyes becomes cloudy.
- The animal becomes lethargic, tends to lie down, relax.
- Itching in the anus causes the pet to fidget on the floor at this place.
With careful observation, these signs are detected without difficulty, but before starting treatment, you need to know the exact diagnosis. After treatment, prevention is necessary.
With the rapid reproduction of helminths, they can be found in feces. For this, a special examination is prescribed. But the difficulty is that litter does not always have larvae and helminth eggs. Smear delivery takes place several times, for 3 days in a row
More accurate information can be obtained from a blood test. If the animal is infected, test data will show that the blood composition has changed. It reveals a large number of antibodies, leading a "battle" with parasites. The meat of such rabbits cannot be eaten. Further treatment and prophylaxis help to improve the animal’s body.
Among the medical methods, the most effective treatment is with drugs administered subcutaneously or orally through a syringe. Prevention also involves their use, but less frequently. To the list of most effective medicines includes:
- The drug "Shustrik."The name speaks for itself. The medicine in a short time helps to get rid of parasites. Shustrik is given one-time during the day, dose is calculated: 1 ml of medicine per 1 kg of animal weight. If the yellow suspension cannot be given inside, then it can be mixed with food in the proportion: 1 ml per 50 g of food.
- Drugs are very popularAlbendazole and Gamavit. If the second is aimed at maintaining immunity, then the first causes the rapid death of parasites. Therefore these drugs are best given in combination. In the first 2 days, Gamavit is administered subcutaneously, at the withers, in an amount of 1 ml. On the 3rd, 4th, 5th day, Alben is added, which must be given orally 2 times a day (in the morning and evening) of 0.75 ml. In the next 3 days, Alben is no longer needed, only Gamavit.
- Other, less common drugs:Pyrantel, Tetramisole, Dronten and others. Before using them, you need to carefully read the instructions on the packaging. Overdose, when drugs are administered in excess, is fraught with serious consequences.
Use certain drugs only after consultation with a veterinarian.
For example, Alben copes with many types of parasites even with advanced diseases. The drug “Alben” is a life-saving drug when helminths “attacked” internal organs and “settled” in the liver, intestines and even the heart. In this case, the delay in death is similar, and Alben must be given urgently.
As effective and completely free methods of treatment, animals can use herbs such as tansy or wormwood. And in winter, they can be perfectly replaced by needles. Eating her rabbits will also be with pleasure. Prevention also includes the use of these plants from time to time.
This is an excellent anthelmintic, which even Alben can compare with. Treating them is very effective. And moreover, in cases where the rabbit eats bitter wormwood together with plant food, his appetite noticeably improves. Grass equally well helps from worms and animals, and people. In order for this remedy to give a quick result, wormwood is added to fragrant hay, constituting at least 30% of the daily plant food for animals.
Tansy is not only very useful as a medicine, but can also become a decoration of the site in the summer, because in itself it is a beautiful plant. In order to get rid of worms, tansy is given to rabbits in the same daily amount as wormwood.
Needles of spruce trees are indispensable in the fight against helminths, when it was not possible to make blanks of tansy and wormwood for the winter. The only condition: the collection of needles should be carried out at a temperature of 20C or lower. This is explained by the fact that in needles collected in warm weather, too much essential oils are concentrated. Their excess can harm the health of the eared.
Harvesting must be done before the herbs begin to bloom.
You can combine herbs and needles, giving them fluffy for several days in a row. Be sure to ensure that the animals always have clean and fresh water.
For the treatment period, the sick rabbit must be isolated from other animals and people, because it is easy to become infected with helminths in contact with an infected eared dog. Care for the rabbit should be carried out with gloves.
Excrement must be immediately removed and thrown away. The place where the fluffy “went” should be thoroughly washed with water and a chlorine-containing preparation. Wet hay must not be allowed in the cage. In a humid environment, worm larvae feel very relaxed and do not wash out with water.
Optimal time for prevention: March and August.
Preparations from worms, such as, for example, Alben, Pirantel, etc., are given to the animal 1-2 times a year for prevention purposes. Suspensions are given based on: 0.3 ml of the drug per 1 kg of animal weight or 3 mg of medicinal powder per 100 g of feed. Anthelmintic drugs are given for 3 days, then a break of 10 days is observed, after which the remedy must be drunk again for 3 days.
Prevention is very important. This is better and more necessary than treating a sick rabbit.
The fact is that some parasites are able to penetrate into muscle tissue, heart and even the mucous membrane of the eye. And it is not always possible to save a pet in such cases.