Breeding rabbits is an interesting and exciting, but at the same time troublesome task.
Since ancient times, our ancestors were engaged in raising rabbits. Having no idea about the possible adaptations for keeping these pets, they Equipped for them the most natural conditions: they dug a hole and put several families of rabbits there, gave them food and water. At the same time, animals independently equipped themselves with conditions for development and reproduction. But in the process of developing this type of activity, breeding rabbits in pits is used less and less. This article provides a drawing and detailed instructions for choosing a place for a pit and arranging it yourself.
Consider the pros and cons of keeping and breeding rabbits in pits
The positive aspects of this method of growing
- benefit in material terms;
- occupied territory, on which rabbits are kept – of small sizes (even when keeping a large number of livestock);
- time saving and physical strength;
- increased immunity and animal resistance to disease;
- obtaining additional nutrients directly from the soil;
- improved and accelerated breeding process (with this type of content in females, maternal instinct is developed at the highest level);
- reduction in the amount needed stern;
- optimal approach to natural conditions existence;
- with a large population there is a possibility self-control rats;
- improved the taste of meat.
- inbreeding (mating), which subsequently leads to the degeneration of offspring;
- inability to control animal ration depending on age;
- difficulty control mating process;
- wild animals (alienation from people);
- the impossibility of selling skins, as a result of injuries during fights between rabbits;
- complexity rabbit isolation when a disease occurs;
- the inability to grow using this method, rabbits with valuable fur or rabbits of large breeds.
How to choose the right place for the pit and equip it with your own hands: drawing, detailed instructions
The place where the pit is dug must be in the shade and placed on an elevation in order to avoid filling the pit with water. To control reproduction, it is worth equipping a second pit for females, who will be selected for divorce, their babies and the male manufacturer. Pits are spaced from each other at a distance of 20 meters or more. Do not worry if there are trees, cellars or wells near the chosen place for the pit, because they will not harm pets in any way.
In shape pits are different, they usually use the shape of a rectangle.
Pit for rabbits with a hole
Now you need to process the walls of the pit, for this you can choose any material (the best option is slate leaves), rabbits will not gnaw it. We process three walls all the time, we also enclose the fourth, but at the same time leave a hole that will serve as the entrance to the hole. The entrance needs to be dug a little (down or straight, but not up) so that the rabbit understands where he needs to dig.
Sprinkle the bottom of the pit with sand – about 20 cm. And on top lay a shallow flat mesh. In this case, urine will easily enter the soil, feces will be easy to collect with a shovel, and the net will not allow rabbits to dig extra holes. Additionally, the bottom is covered with straw, which must be changed from time to time. The best option for the required number of cleanings will be 1 cleaning a few days or a week.
Above the pit you need to put a canopy with a slope in the opposite direction from the entrance to the hole. A pit fence is a good option, which will protect animals from predators and dogs.
We install a door at the entrance to the hole, feeders and drinking bowls (in sufficient quantities) along one wall. They are required to fit in size both for adult rabbits and for babies. Now we can run the rabbits.
We release rabbits into the pit
It is necessary to place rabbits in the pit that have reached 4-5 months of age, this is the most crucial moment. If the question arises of choosing a breed for this type of keeping rabbits, then you can choose any breed, but giants are best kept in cages.
What to do when rabbits do not dig holes
There are times when rabbits released into the pit do not dig holes. This is due to the fact that the rabbits have lost the instinct of digging laid down by their ancestors. More often, similar situations arise with adult rabbits (from 1 year and older). Digging instinct wakes up in females before okrol, and by that time they did not want to trouble themselves with unnecessary worries.
When this situation arises, you need to make it clear to the rabbits that they are in the pit. For young rabbits, it is necessary to plant rabbits that lived in similar conditions and by their example they will push the population to the right actions.
After the work done, the rabbits sniff and examine this object, and then they begin to actively develop and master it.
How to catch a rabbit in a pit?
Catching a rabbit with this type of content is difficult, because rabbits eventually run wild and become shy. To catch a rabbit without problems, it is necessary to equip the valves, which will be located at the entrance to the hole.
Rabbit Pit Entry Gate Valve
It is required that rabbits develop an instinct of exit from the hole during the process of distributing food. A signal that informs about the distribution of food can be a whistle. After the animal comes out, close the deadbolt and catch the rabbit using a net.
What is the difference between winter content and annual
For beginners in the field of rabbit breeding, the question arises: is it worth it to warm the pits before the winter season?
You don’t need to do anything like this, because the temperature in the pit is the same regardless of the season and fluctuates around 10-15 degrees Celsius. This temperature balance allows you to avoid stress and illness.
Animal nutrition in burrows
The nutrition process is almost the same as with the cell content of rabbits. The diet includes:
- grain of barley and oats;
- branches hanging them on the walls of the pit;
Feeding rabbits in a pit
Pits are equipped with feeders and drinking bowls, raised above the floor level away from the hole to avoid falling asleep to the ground. Pour enough food to prevent fights between animals. Water should be changed often, and make sure that it is always present. It is necessary to accustom animals to a sound signal that will call the animals to the feeders.
Breeding rabbits in the pit
It is impossible to control mating processes with this technique., but nevertheless, the reproduction of rabbits in the pit in most cases is a successful process.
Rabbits are almost always in position and do not rest from their previous pregnancy, and therefore rabbits are born a lot. Being in a hole, the rabbits feel more confident and calmer, recover faster after childbirth.
Little rabbits in the pit
The rabbits at the same time feed from all the rabbits, which are nearby, as a result of which they get better immunity and therefore do not get sick.
With this breeding method, it is necessary to replace the production rabbits in time, which will allow to increase the herd without loss of breed properties.
- As experience has shown, before placing rabbits in their pit solder with antibiotics, and pierce the females, to avoid possible infection of future offspring.
- Need to train animals to yourself, while feeding, observe them (in the future this will help to catch rabbits).
- It is advisable to build a roof over the pit, to prevent flooding of burrows during heavy rainfall.
- When arranging a pit equip the ventilation system. To do this, it is necessary to mount the pipe so that the animals do not strangle in the winter.
- A prerequisite for the arrangement of the pit is allowing sunlight to enter the pit (at the entrance you can put a lattice that will let in sunlight.)
- If the rabbits have found a way to freedom, it is worthwhile to trace where the escape paths are. And then all these the entrances to the holes to score and make new holes for rabbits downward.
After analyzing the information presented, we can conclude that rabbits can be raised not only by professionals in this field, but also amateur beginners. Raising rabbits is not such a difficult matter, you just need to be responsible with it. Of course, rabbits feel better in pits than in cages, so why not arrange such necessary living conditions close to the natural environment for them.