The digestion of rabbits is particularly tender and unstable. Consequently – frequent disorders of the stomach and intestines. The most common of these is bloating (tympanum), which even a novice rabbit breeder will probably encounter.
The causes, prevention, symptoms and treatment of bloating in rabbits will be described in detail in the proposed article.
Why rabbits may swell their stomach, causes and symptoms
Rabbit digestion, like most herbivores, it proceeds almost continuously. This means that there is always food in the stomach and intestines of the eared. Normally, the rabbit will eat before the onset of gastrointestinal stasis, that is, stagnation of food or complete blockage of the intestine.
Why can rabbits have a bloated stomach? Obstruction of the intestines and causing bloating, increased gas formation, impaired animal appetite, due to which the offspring can die. A beginner rabbit breeder needs to be well versed in the causes of this phenomenon, which will avoid a lot of hassle and expense. These are usually:
- Dehydration – daily, an adult rabbit needs up to half a liter of water. And the animal must have access to it constantly;
- Stress, caused by a sharp change in diet, weather factors, the movement of the animal, the presence of predators nearby (ferrets, weasels, stray dogs, etc.);
- Fiber deficiency, which help normal bowel function.
- Appearance in the intestines and reproduction of pathogenic bacteria;
- Intestine wool or substandard foods that cause a fermentation process.
Abdominal disease (tympanum) in rabbits can also develop with violations of the intestinal microflora, which is not always a direct result of food delays. The causes of tympany in this case may be:
- Diseases of the teeth and oral cavity. Most often manifested in age-related individuals. As a result – poor chopping of food and forced diet due to the inability to chew food normally;
- Antibiotic use, destroying intestinal microflora;
- Inactive Lifestyle;
The process of digesting cabbage, wet grass, and legumes is in itself difficult for the intestines of the rabbit. therefore manifestation of individual symptoms of tympanum (flatulence, rumbling in the abdomen) is not yet a sign of the presence of the disease, and especially gastrointestinal stasis.
Symptoms of FSW, unlike other diseases
Recognize gastrointestinal stasis it is possible at the very initial stage. For an experienced rabbit breeder, this is not a problem. A trained eye immediately draws attention to a swollen belly. There is nothing catastrophic about this. In rabbits, this is the most common ailment.
Gastrointestinal stasis in rabbits
For a beginner rabbit breeder, we will describe all obvious and hidden for an inexperienced eye signs of the appearance of FSW:
- Refusal of food, lethargy, depression. Since rabbits usually eat a lot and with pleasure, the loss of appetite is clearly noticeable;
- If flatulence or rumbling is detected, it is advisable to probe the pet’s stomach. The presence of seals near the walls of the abdominal cavity, rumbling, transfusion, gurgling – a clear sign of accumulation of food, liquid and gases in the intestine;
- Delays and stool disorders. The absence of litter up to 10-12 hours, a sharp change in color or a decrease in the size of characteristic balls.
For pet inspection experienced rabbit breeders use a stethoscope – This is an inexpensive but very useful device. With it, you can listen to the intestines of the animal and with high accuracy to establish signs of the disorder.
At the same time, the presence of mucus in the rabbit litter, blood clots, prolonged diarrhea – evidence of infection or other dangerous diseases, due to which the offspring can die. In this situation, you must contact your veterinarian.
How to correctly treat bloating in a rabbit
Rabbit breeders when detecting signs of an eating disorder use the following procedure:
- A sick animal is necessary drop off from other pets;
- Then for thorough inspection the animal should, taking under its front legs, put its back on its knees with its head towards itself. If the rabbit is nervous or resists, then it must be reassured. As soon as the rabbit gets used to his hands, you can begin to feel the abdomen and massage.
Rabbit tummy massage
Only after examination, making sure that your pet has bloating is required to begin treatment. There are two ways to treat:
Treatment with folk remedies
The simplest and safest for the animal are massage and decoctions. Finger massage, smooth movements without strong pressure (the internal organs of rabbits are very tender). Massage can be done as a circular (clockwise), so in the direction from head to tail. Massage task – help the rabbit to push the mass stuck in the intestines.
Massage Duration and Repetition Rate experimentally selected. If 5-7 minutes of a leisurely massage does not bring relief to the animal, then it is necessary to use more effective means.
Decoctions can also help.. However, these funds are more likely preventive. In acute manifestations of FSW, decoctions are useless and you should not waste time on them, especially since the life of an animal can go for hours.
Rabbit drinks from a bowl
For the manufacture of decoctions, chamomile, dill, dandelion and wormwood are used. For prophylaxis these herbs are recommended to be added to food and in a dry form.
Another way to slow down intestinal fermentation is in every home. it alcohol or its derivatives (vodka or moonshine). For an adult rabbit, you need only 1-2 tablespoons (no more) of a warm drink, the strength of which does not exceed 30 degrees.
A sick rabbit needs a plentiful drink and free space. Therefore, if there is an opportunity to let him out for a walk – do not miss her.
In this situation, one person holds the animal tightly by its paws, preventing it from breaking out. Another can gently squeeze the mouth of the animal and drink with medicinal potions.
Medicines, analgesics, antibiotics
A beginner rabbit breeder should be very careful about the advice on the use of drugs. Often they can be useless, and sometimes harm. However, it is desirable to have a number of drugs at hand.
- Activated carbon – A very useful medicine and completely safe. For a sick rabbit, it is necessary to crush 2-3 tablets of charcoal and stir them in a glass of warm water;
- Tympanol – A specialized veterinary preparation for bloating in ruminants. Dosage is determined based on the weight of the animal. For each kilogram of weight, 0.5 mg of the drug and a tablespoon of warm water are required. The resulting mixture is valid for 20-30 minutes. The drug is natural, because its use does not bear any particular risks.
It is necessary to refrain from forced feeding, all kinds of warmers, enemas, and other means used to treat a person, since they can only be effective in the hands of an experienced rabbit breeder. As for the numerous antibiotics and analgesics, it is best to use them after consulting a veterinarian.
What to do with this disease, diet and food
Sick and recovering animals require special meals for 2-5 days (usually digestive upsets last so long). Fresh herbs, vegetables and fruits, especially cabbage, beet tops, and legumes, are completely excluded from the diet.
Rabbits eat grain
Best feed for sick rabbits, is hay or oats. You can feed pumpkin or zucchini – this is a diet dish for the eared. Chamomile, dandelion, sage, dill, wormwood, parsley – herbs are useful for bloating, so do not deprive them of your pet.
Prevention of tympanum and FSW in rabbits
It is hardly possible to completely eliminate digestive disorders in rabbits, but helpful recommendations will reduce their frequency of occurrence:
- No need to overfeed animals juicy herbs, fruits and vegetables;
- Everything products must be clean and suitable for food (rot, mold, fermented or spoiled products, it is strictly forbidden to give animals);
- Do not feed sweet foods and sugar;
- Animals should always have clean drinking water.
Also, rabbits will not be disturbed regular walks in the aviary and attentive attitude. It will allow you to recognize bloating in the very early stages.
Rabbits in the aviary
In conclusion, it is worth noting that on the Internet you can read a lot of tips, learn dozens of names of “useful” medications for rabbits, from familiar analgin to expensive and dubious enzymes. Without experience and a proper diagnosis, they should not be used.. For difficult rabbit breeders, it is best to go to the veterinarian in difficult cases.