When a lop-eared rabbit appears in a house, you have to make adjustments to the usual rhythm of people’s lives. A beautiful, funny, funny eared one is not a toy, you cannot put it on a shelf to enjoy it from time to time. This is a living creature with its own character, habits. The pet needs attention and love. Before you get an animal, you need to think carefully, weigh the pros and cons.
The first mention of rabbits with ears descending along the head can be found in the writings of Charles Darwin. But no one was engaged in their breeding then. They started talking about the French rabbit in 1850. The English rabbit ram is also a very ancient breed. Crossing these 2 breeds, and then breeding among themselves, breeders began to receive unusual and very interesting breeds of animals. They live on average up to 5-7 years.
External features and character
Decorative ram can be of different sizes. The largest representatives reach an impressive body weight – up to 8-10 kg. The name "ram" indicates the external features of the eared ears. Their ears are turned by shells to the head and go down along it. But in newborns rabbits, this form of ears is formed up to 6 weeks of age. The skull is large and massive. In general, there is a strong similarity between a head and a lamb. But the ears of the eared can reach a length of up to 70 cm.
The color of the wool is very different: blue, brown, golden, etc. The wool can also be mottled: spots, speckled. These "fur coats" are always in price and there is a huge demand for them. A lop-eared sheep can be a source of tender and juicy meat, valuable wool, or it is cared for and cherished throughout life as a pet.
The dwarf breeds of eared horns live longer, the better care for them.
Character Ears are very friendly. They quickly get used to people, easily master new living conditions. They are very curious and playful, willingly play with children, love affection. Females with proper care and maintenance can bring 6 rabbits in one litter.
To see the fun, friendliness and cheerfulness of these pets, watch the video.
Fold breed species
The breeds are very different in external and qualitative characteristics.
- Meissen Fold Ram – A very rare breed, the indigenous place of its habitat is the country of Germany.
- French ram – A common species in all countries.
- English Ears are owners of very large ears and tiny forepaws.
- Plush rabbit It has such a name because of the external features – soft, short and thick wool.
- Fleecy fluffy distinguished by a long wool coat.
- The smallest breeds include dwarf and dutch representatives of the hare family. Dwarf breeds live mainly at home.
All these breeds are united by a very beautiful appearance, great value of a fur coat and high quality rabbit meat.
Conditions of detention, care
Rabbit ration should be complete and include a variety of types of food:
- sheep prefers carrots, broccoli, potatoes and other vegetables. You should not feed it with cauliflower and white cabbage, tomatoes, beets, and potato battles.
- in summer, a fresh and slightly withered meadow grass, nettle, and dandelion will be a good source of vitamins.
- wheat and oats are suitable as cereals.
- in winter, the lop-eared sheep will not refuse an armful of odorous dry herbs.
Read more about rabbit nutrition here.
Cage and tray
Cell the ears should be spacious in size (not less than 0.50.7 m.). Tray it is better to install in the corner and attach it to the walls so that the fluffy could not tip it. You can use a cat tray for these purposes. The most convenient form for the tray is triangular. Read more about tray selection here. In such a "housing" dwarf pussies live comfortably.
It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness in the feeders and take care of the constant availability of clean water. Animals often eat and their gastrointestinal tract works on the principle of pushing food through the addition of new portions of food. Pets can eat and defecate immediately. For convenience, a hay feeder can be placed above the tray.
The best litter material is well-dried wood shavings or finely chopped newspaper, which does not have printing ink.
The appearance of dampness in the cell must not be allowed.
How to tame?
Decorative ram – freedom-loving animal, therefore, do not try to achieve your goals by shouting and violence.
- No need to force the baby to leave his "home". It is enough to open the door of the cage and wait a bit.
- The rabbit will be interested in slipping away to freedom, but at first it can clog into a corner and look warily at human actions. The gentle intonation in the owner’s voice and a piece of some rabbit delicacy will calm him down.
- Not every pet behaves calmly after leaving the cage. He can be aggressive and when trying to stroke him, a person will not notice how the eared one suddenly bit his finger. The reason lies in the fear or sexual arousal of the animal. In order to pacify the pet, you need to gently but firmly press it to the floor. The males in the heat of "battles" jump on each other’s back to show their dominance over the opponent. Therefore, the baby should immediately show who is the boss in the house.
- If the rabbit has a hot nose, you must definitely see how much the thermometer shows the divisions. A slight excess may indicate an excited state, but if the temperature has exceeded 40 ° C, you need to sound an alarm. This condition is life threatening to the pet. Immediate help from a veterinarian is required. Before his arrival, you can try to bring down a little heat with ice packs.
A frightened baby will never be tamed.
Diseases and vaccination of the breed
When the lop-eared rabbit reaches the age of 45 days, and its weight is 0.5 kg, it is time for vaccination. The animal must be protected from diseases:
- Hemorrhagic disease (HBVC).
10 days before the vaccination procedures, the animal must be given preparations for worms. If this is not done, during the period of production of antibodies from the disease, when the rabbit’s body is under tremendous strain, the animal’s health can be seriously shaken (if worms still exist).
If you do not monitor the health of pets, dwarf breeds do not live long. Proper care and timely vaccinations are very important for them.
The vaccine can be administered in an associated form (it is called the “HBVC and M” vaccine) and contain just 2 types of vaccine for one and the other disease, or only 1 type of vaccine is administered, observing the time interval between the introduction of the myxomatosis vaccine and the HBV vaccine.
In this case, vaccination against myxomatosis occurs on the 28th day after the birth of the rabbit, and the composition for hemorrhagic disease is introduced on the 45th day. Revaccination, allowing to consolidate the results, is carried out after 3 months. And then follow the scheduled procedure every 6-8 months.
The vaccine "M" and "VGBK" stand apart on average from 60 to 70 rubles per 10 injections, and the combined (associated) version of the vaccine is estimated at about 230-250 rubles. The price of vaccines may exceed this cost – it depends on the delivery conditions and producer price. In this case, the averaged data are given.
Sterilization and castration
When puberty occurs, the ram rabbit begins to mark the territory. He behaves uneasily, can become aggressive. Ushastiki are no longer interested in playing with children. He can use plush toys for other purposes. The owners look anxiously at the throwing of a poor animal and understand that something needs to be urgently done. Dwarf eared ones do not live a normal life, but almost go crazy, despite the full care. And no matter how many owners fight, the madness continues.
Sterilization is a solution to the problem for females, and castration for males. After the operation, the ram becomes calm and peaceful. He again has a healthy appetite. He sleeps peacefully, he is again beginning to be interested in games.
Females can be sterilized from 4 months. But many veterinarians are inclined to believe that the operation is best performed at 6 months of age – a stronger and more mature body recovers faster after surgery.
For males, the best period for castration is from 3.5 to 5 months. Is it possible to conduct an operation for individuals who have reached the age limit of 1-3 years? There is no single answer to this question. But experts are confident that in this case, the pets tolerate the operation much harder. Before it is carried out, it is necessary to check the condition of the internal organs and pass all the necessary tests. Dwarf pussies live for several years, so you can not risk their health without weighing the decision. And then they will need a long and thorough care.
What games does the pet play willingly?
In his spare time, a decorative ram rabbit prefers:
- to jump on a hill;
- get to the goal through long tunnel passages;
- to tear with teeth everything that lends itself to them, no matter how many things there are in front of them;
- throw balls, chase small objects that roll, bounce;
- dig holes and undermines.
The played out pet is very funny and cheerful, but if it does not have suitable toys, then hold on, master! The rabbit ram will tear off the trim on the armchairs, tear off the wallpaper that is just peeling off the wall, tear to pieces the newspaper thrown in a hurry and do a lot of bad things. From the point of view of the owner, this is complete devastation, and the eared one is simply pleased and unaware that the person is tormented by the painful thought: hit him with a slipper or not.
Valuable things for people should not be on the playing area.
You can not buy a "rabbit in a bag." Before acquiring an eared speaker, you need to carefully examine it:
- The sclera of the eyes should be clean and shiny.
- The nose of a healthy pet is cold and wet.
- Entangled hair and frequent need for scratching may indicate fleas.
- If the animal constantly licks the anus and seeks to crouch back on the floor – it can be infected with worms.
- Sagging empty abdomen, bulging bones, muddy eyes may indicate diseases of the internal organs.
- Body bald patches are a sign of lichen.
A healthy pet is mobile and playful; a sick one is indifferent and lethargic.
- A decorative ram rabbit, which has become a universal favorite of household members, but does not have a pedigree, is estimated by breeders at 1000-2000 rubles.
- A lop-eared eared dog belonging to the pet class costs an average of 1000-2500 rubles.
- If the breeding of a certain breed becomes the goal of the owners, then for this a bridal ram rabbit is acquired. You will have to pay 2000-4000 rubles for it.
- And finally, handsome men with a pedigree, which are shown at exhibitions (show class), breeders estimate at 3000-5000.
- Very rare and beautiful breeds can reach prices even up to 8000 rubles (for example, a lop-eared rabbit – a Dutchman).
No matter how much people worry about their pets and promise not to burden themselves with the cares of their care the next time, they are drawn to their sweet and funny pussies with their hearts that make their life much more interesting and happier with their presence.